- 41 people were killed and 239 wounded in a gun and bombing attack on the Ataturk international airport in Istanbul on Tuesday night.
- 13 of the 41 dead are foreign nationals, including five from Saudi Arabia, two from Iraq, and one each from Tunisia, Uzbekistan, China, Iran, Ukraine and Jordan. The Palestinian ambassador to Turkey has also said a Palestinian woman was killed.
- Authorities believe three men armed with Kalashnikov rifles attacked the airport, detonating suicide vests when confronted by police officers.
- No group has yet claimed responsibility for the attack, but Turkey’s prime minister, Binali Yildirim, has said the attack was carried out by Daesh (Islamic State).
- Yildirim said the men caught a taxi to the airport, launching their assault at the international arrivals terminal.
- Turkish president Recep Tayyip Erdoğan said the attack showed “the dark face of terror that targets innocent civilians”
- The bombing at Atatürk – Turkey’s largest airport, and the third-busiest in Europe – is the third suicide attack on Istanbul in 2016.
- Atatürk airport has reopened, with incoming and outgoing flights – which were halted in the immediate aftermath of the attack – operating this morning, although many are cancelled or delayed.
- Foreign ministers from around the world, including Russia and Israel - two countries previously at odds with Turkey - have offered their condolences and support.
- Air Ambulance Spain
AIR AMBULANCE BLOGS